Early morning bike ride


 Since about a year ago I started cycling instead of swimming to keep fit. I have found that cycling has certain advantages compared to swimming. I can do it everyday (weather allowing, of course) instead of only two or three times a week. I do not have to pay entrance and I can start right from my door. But most importantly, I can pass along a railway track. This not just any track; it is part of the first railway line in Indonesia, the 25 kilometres Semarang-Tanggung line opened in 1867. But before I get to the tracks I first pass through quite and shady kampung streets.


My regular encounters during these morning trips is with the humble economy class Bojonegoro feeder. Once in while I meet some slow freight trains waiting at the passing loop at Alastua Station.


One day, however, I was surprised to see the crack Argo Bromo Anggrek ‘Go Green’ which was about three hours behind schedule.


During weekends and holidays Alastua station has become a popular place for train watching and an impromptu fair has sprung up where one can buy food, toys and even clothes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semarang City Tram

Malaysian Interlude: Preserved Engines at the Muzium Negara, Kuala Lumpur

The Administration Building of the Netherlands East Indies Railway Company in Semarang